Monday, July 13, 2009

ok the story about David's poop

It is thought that the blood in David's stool is from his spontaneous perforation and consequential surgery to repair said perforation when he was 10 days old. His bowel was resectioned (AKA cut and pasted) for the surgery and the doctor (yes the rectal exam doctor) thinks that as he is growing, an adhesion has let loose and the repaired area is stretching causing small amounts of blood in his stool. I am hoping that he is discharged by the eye surgeon tomorrow or the next day, sent back to Lake Charles and is re-evaluated there by his original neonatologist.

As for transferring them - the eye surgeon will not go to any other hospital which is how we ended up here in the first place. He is the one who follows the cases in Lake Charles and will see them through their first years - every few months for exams. We were told he was the best - we could not have imagined the nightmare we've had in the NICU but the babies will be discharged as soon as they are cleared by the surgeon and will be shipped back to Lake Charles at that point.

Mary Louise was extuabted last night. She is doing well and is almost back to full feedings and nippling already. She even wore her first outfit today!! My beautiful girl is back! David is doing better each day. Tiny amounts of blood in his stool still appear sometimes but not near what was there to begin with. The rectal exam caused a tear which is healing. I plan on writing a letter to the state medical board if you're wondering as I feel our right to refuse treatment was violated. It probably won't go anywhere but will have to be reviewed and may make him think twice next time he gets a bright idea like that.

Poor Brent had to go to work for a few days. Today is the first day he's missed seeing his little ones and I know he's just so sad about it. Ma Mere (his mother) is here with me until he can return. She rocked David after his feeding last night and he fell fast asleep in her arms for hours. I was so happy to see him sleeping so well.

As for the breast feeding. No worries all la leche leaguers!! I will breast feed for a minimum of one year - one way or another. I have asked about the possibility of food allergies for our little ones. As David is getting better (and food allergies rarely appear so early - which does not by any means mean is it impossible - only rare) I will maintain my generally healthy low sodium low spice diet for now. If you're concerned about dairy - no worries there either - I've never been a huge dairy person anyhow. I plan on following up with the neonatologist in Lake Charles as well as their pediatrician.

Also, David does not have intussuception, a blockage or NEC - they have all been ruled out with tests and the famous rectal exam - but were at one time a consideration.

I think that covers the questions? If there are any more, please write! Fabulous discussion started - ha - I had no idea until Brent started calling me today with comment updates. Thank you for all of the suggestions - and of course for reading!!

We were all able to smile today (me and the babies - and of course Ma Mere) for the first time in awhile. (yay)

Love, hugs, and baby kisses!
Heather

9 comments:

  1. Awesome news! Glad to here that Mary Louise and David are doing better. I have been so worried. I hope the improvement continues and you can return to Lake Charles where you are comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I burst into tears with relief and happiness for you all with the good news today--finally! xxxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear some good news, and thanking God that your beautiful little girl is back and wore her first outfit today! Also that David is doing better, but praying for that blood in his stool to go away! I know you are anxious to get back to Lake Charles...when do you think that might be possible?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear that your little girl is breathing on her own now and back to her old self. Can't wait to read the post stating you guys are getting out of that place! I definitely think you should write that letter.

    Hopefully you will figure out for sure what's causing the bloody poop. I remember when I saw it in my son, it was after he spent a week in the hospital from sepsis so you can imagine how I freaked seeing that. No matter what the cause is, I hope they can figure it out and fix it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I wanted to add, you are doing an awesome job advocating for your babies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DRE on an infant that small?! What. The Hell.

    Sounds like the doctor could use one himself. Only with a metal pipe. Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear David and Mary Louise are doing better. And that Mary Louise is becoming a fastionista! Can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great to hear all the good news! We're so proud of Mary Louise and David for being so strong! We are anxiously awaiting pictures in her outfit!!!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will never forget that first outfit! What a special moment. I was almost scared to log on today but still hopefull that I would see some good news and there it was! Awesome! I am so happy for all of you!! You guys are true testaments of great parents already!

    ReplyDelete