Friday, July 17, 2009

my disclaimer

So if you didn't know before, this is a blog about MY thoughts and feelings about MY NICU experience with MY (or ok, our - meaning Brent's and MINE) babies who were born at 24 weeks and 5 days after an absolutely horrific pregnancy, month of in hospital bed rest, loss of a child at 5 days, etc. Really, if you want the whole story, start at the beginning of the blog. I must emphasize (apparently) that this is only MY feelings and thoughts - with an occasional installment from my husband, Brent. I am a nurse - but an adult health nurse with limited knowledge of neonatal care - some learned during a 6 week rotation through a level III NICU just before I graduated from nursing school and the rest I've learned on the fly throughout this 89 day (so far) experience.

If you'd like to judge me in any way for what I write on this blog, feel free. But, realize that I make no apologies for my OPINION. There are 2 sides to every story and I am free to voice mine however I choose. This blog has served as my venting spot, information seeking spot, a liason for us to keep friends and family informed and a spot for us to receive feedback on our current situation and network with those who have had the unfortunate blessing of being in a similar situation. That's it. I make it a point to leave out names of employees involved in the care of our babies for a reason. Of course they can likely identify themselves if they read the stories, but no one else knows (or really cares for that matter) who they are. So, if in reading this, you feel slighted or upset by what's written, re-evaluate your actions - no one else knows who you are unless you tell them.

Furthermore, this blog is laced with sarcasm, harsh criticism, tears, jokes - off color or otherwise. In short, it shows my personality. So, if you have a problem with my "tone" stop reading - honestly -no one forced you to search for this one in bilions of internet sites.

The babies are doing well. I am continuing my breast feeding efforts with the patient help of the lactation consultant's pull and poke method. Mary Louise as it turns out is an insatiable little booger. Their weights are (and this may not be exact...) David - 3 pounds 9.1 ounces and Mary Louise - 4 pounds 5 ounces.

I tried feeding both at the same time last night but got a bit frustrated and had to stop. I really feel like once we are home (wow that sounds good) and I am able to relax a little more and have a bit more space, I'll be able to figure out what works best for all of us. Until then, I am practicing with one at a time and supplementing with pumped milk. (and having tons of fun doing it!)

In other news, it's Brent's birthday today and we took advantage of our location and went to one of our favorite New Orleans restaurants in honor of the occasion. To complete our date night, we've returned to the hospital for the feeding and bathing of our babies - and are so so happy to have the opportunity to do so.

Sorry, I'll be a bit more with it tomorrow - I'm having quite the off day today.

Love, Heather

P.S. I gave Mary Louise a "nosey" last night and she moved and tried to nurse on my nose! so so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment