Saturday, April 25, 2009

Vent settings

We went last night late to see the babies once more - and to bring in some milk (because oh by the way - I have produced a bit!! (YAY)). They are slowly but surely weaning Mary Louise off of the ventilator and she is tolerating it well! They are also very slowly weaning David off of the dopamine and dobutamine drips he's been on - he seems to be tolerating that well.

They finally started aquaphor skin treatments on them (I'd nagged all day about their fragile, dry skin and what they were using) and although the treatments make them look as if they are basking under the sun caked in butter, I'm hoping it will aid in avoidance of breakdown. Oh - they were also able to turn off Mary Louise's billi light - so we could see her tiny little face last night for the first time. Her little noggin has been through an awful lot but with careful positioning, my little girl looks beautiful and peaceful when she sleeps (ha even if I do say so myself!)

I will be discharged as a patient today but will remain in the hopspital for a few more days to pump until they can get me set up with a hospital grade pump and to keep a close eye on the little ones. They are doing head ultrasounds on Monday so that's a very big day. Luckily, we've brought in all grandparents for the occasion so we will be with family for the day until we hear exactly what's happening with the babies.

The doctor gives each baby a 50/50 chance at survival - I'm not sure at this point how much that really means - but he feels the need to throw it out there rather regularly so I thought I share our odds with you.

In the meantime, my blood pressure has been coming down which is good. I still have a very long way to go but am making progress myself. We laughed yesterday that 6 months ago I was running 5 miles and doing yoga and lifting weights most days. Yesterday, I went for a walk around the hospital for the first time and my legs were so weak that I could only make it half way before stopping for a long rest! I suppose I must start somewhere.

I haven't gone to see the babies yet today - and am really hoping they had a good night. I'll post later on today's progress - or maybe Brent will take a turn!

4 comments:

  1. Heather it sounds like your body is really on its way to recovering. That is great. Good news about Mary and David too. I can't wait to hear about further progress. Still praying and sending love! -The Lorenzos

    ReplyDelete
  2. B&H, thank you so much for the updates. I find myself checking your blog a million times a day to see if there are any new reports. I am so happy that you got to see Mary Louise's precious face for the first time! Continuing to pray-Claire

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Good Shepherd member who just read your blog, although I've been praying for your family. Brent, it is impossible not to question your faith when your children are in trouble. It seems paradoxical that God gives you children for you to protect and cherish, and then somehow you're unable to do that. That is precisely when we learn that we are not able to do ANYTHING--even protect our children (or ourselves)--without relying on God. I will continue to offer prayers for your family as they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather- congrats on the milk! That is wonderful news! I am glad you are recovering well and are up walking, even if it is for short distances and includes breaks-it's a great start. Make sure to stay very hydrated so the pumping will be more and more productive!
    Doctors like numbers, plus then they can feel like heroes when they beat the odds, even if it is your babies who beat the odds because they are amazing!
    Continued prayers for strength and peace for all of you and your families.

    May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete