Monday, April 27, 2009

breast pump clarification

I do have a medela pump that a family friend graciously gave to me. The lactation consultant however, recommended that I rent one from the hospital (which has a larger motor) for the time the babies are in the NICU as I don't have them as stimulation and preemie mom's tend to have trouble keeping their milk up. The program was simply supposed to pay for the rental but as we were turned down for a medicaid supplement program, I am ineligible for WIC (which I am told is also based on income). No matter - our babies had a good day today.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Heather, I have a pump that I only used once with Briley. If you would like it, I would gladly send it your way and that way I could visit the babies too!

    By the way, this is your cousin, Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The babies should qualify for social security due to low birth weight: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html#ssi-benefits

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, ALL infants born under 2lbs 10oz are automatically eligible for SSI benefits. SSI eligibility will qualify you for Medicaid to handle the medical expenses your health insurance will not cover. These benefits will likely expire within one year. We made 3 trips to the Social Security office before we found the right person to help us get things straight. The hospital social worker should be able to help you with this. See, http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html#medicaid.

    We would likely be paying the equivilent of another house note in medical bills had we not been persistent with this.

    We are praying for you and your special babies daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for good test results! I am so proud of Mary Louis and David! What a huge sigh of relief! :)
    -McCall

    ReplyDelete