Sunday, April 26, 2009

massahhhge time

Brent and I went to the NICU this morning for a visit before Brent went to church. We showed at the right time as Mary Louise's nurse saved her diaper change and morning aquaphor rub down for us to do. Her tiny size made Brent a bit nervous so he watched while I did both tasks. She's was so sweet- looked a little grumpy with her diaper change then relaxed right away as I rubbed her tiny arms and legs with the ointment. Her skin - although still dry looks much better and so does David's.

They are both doing ok this morning but have both had a reduction in urine production. Tomorrow will be a big day for both of them as they are examined for bleeds and for size of their PDA's. They are so incredibly tiny that their kidneys really need to function well for the doctors to proceed with the medications they need. They both appeared a little puffy this morning but looked really good otherwise. The nurses were able to turn off David's billirubin light as his levels were down and both have had negative blood cultures - showing that they do not have an infection. The fact that the billi lights are off for now on both babies allows us to see their little faces more often. Their eyes are not yet open but they have the sweetest little faces, wrinkle their little foreheads and grimace if they don't like something. They will grip fingers and kick hands away. I am just mesmerized by them to be honest - they are simply amazing to me. I am sincerely hoping that their kidney function picks up again so that we may fix their little hearts and allow them to grow and thrive some more.

David has a little sign on his incubator that says "I am one pound one ounce today!" We are so proud of our little guy.

I am continuing to heal well but am retaining fluid and continue to have fluctuating blood pressures and have an immense amount of bruising so I'm trying to rest as much as possible. I feel so lucky to be able to stay here close to the babies and to have so much help from family and of course the ever patient and proud Brent.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited you were able to have some "hand-on action!" I bet that was exhiliarating!!! Big day tomorrow - can't wait to hear the results! Praying for the best!!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the one pound mark! I am so proud of David! :) (And Mary Louise, of course, but that should go without saying.) Keep the updates coming. Love you! :)- McCall

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete