Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday Update

I should start by saying that I do as of right now have another week. However, my kidney function is declining - rather slowly right now - but the worry is that that decline will gain speed. My liver function is still within normal limits but has fluctuated slightly (elevated) and my platelets are also still within normal limits but with a slight decline (as compared to last week's lab results.) I feel ok and still have no swelling but apparently some cases of preeclamsia are just like that. My uric acid level has increased again - it is apparently used as a "soft indicator" of the disease process - meaning things are progressing and my kidneys are being put under more strain. Again, I was told there was nothing to do but wait. I'll be 23 weeks on Wednesday.

Future plans: if my labs remain stable and the disease process slows a bit, I'll remain here until it's absolutely necessary to deliver. However, if I make it into 24 to 25 weeks which is considered "the border of viability" for the babies, and my kidney function is continuing to decline, my primary OB has considered moving me to Baton Rouge during a "push" time. That is, if they are pushing my system passed what is routinely reccommended in an effort to buy another crucial week for the babies, he wants me in a hospital that staffs a perinatologist everyday - here they are on site only on Monday and Thursday. They specialize in ultrasounds and check the development of the babies.

If my condition worsens significantly prior to the grey area of viability, they will reccommend delivery anyhow.

That's the latest.

4 comments:

  1. Every week is a great blessing--every moment. Stay steady. Have faith. Rest with vast prayers and great love always surrounding you and the babies.

    Mom Mom is thinking of you, praying, and asking about you always--a miracle in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying to St. Gerard Majella on behalf of you. He is the patron saint of expectant mothers. We all are praying you make it to 25+ weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will continue to pray and you know with God anything can happen! I'll keep sending you and your little ones love and well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    Toni and I are praying for you and the babies. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do.

    Tim Pazos

    ReplyDelete