Sunday, April 5, 2009

sleepy sunday - and a story

The other triplet mom next door is delivering today if I'm not mistaken (if not today then tomorrow morning). Her doctor came in and talked to me today (as she's been on call this weekend). Apparently the other mom is 29 weeks and 5 days and all the babies are at least 3 pounds. Anyhow, I wish her and the babies good health and happiness.

I've started my 24 hours of testing again today. Trying to stay calm about it and rest as much as possible. We'll see tomorrow.

I suppose I'll tell you my odd story for the week. So since I've come here, the nurses have worried about 2 things primarily...1. depression, 2. constipation. Now, I long ago developed the firm opinion that the majority of nursing is centered around excretions - sputum, bm, urine, blood - doesn't really matter what the excretion is, nurses have some sort of action to create, or reduce said excretion. But to be on this side of things, ha - what a different point of view. So the other day as the blood pressure cuff was cutting off the circulation in my poor bruised right arm once again, the nurse got a serious look on her face and said, "you know, if you need anything for psychosis or depression, don't be embarrassed to ask." Then she added, "and if you feel constipated, we can give you something for that as well. There's no need to be a hero and sit here and suffer." (and all this time I had no idea that I'd only need to sit blocked up in silence to be considered heroic). So, I could feel the giggle about to come out of my mouth, cleared my throat and said, "my flowers and family have done wonders for my mood - and I love the huge window in here - at least I get to see the weather, but if I start to feel like I'm loosing it, I'll let you know." Then I added, "I assure you, I have no trouble with constipation, but if a problem develops, I'll be sure to ask for something - I'm not that kind of hero." She seemed satisfied and opted not to push the issues any further after sort of mumbling, "you know nurses are the hardest patients to take care of."

At least I got my laugh for the day. I'll let you know how permission Monday pans out...

1 comment:

  1. We are home again and all went well.
    The British relations leave this week.

    I hope all goes well with the other triplet mom and babies.

    Take good care and enjoy your rest.

    Right when we returned home, Ms. Beula came to give us all a church service and communion. Then Ms. Duane brought you a shower gift from Pat and Rene. So those were nice surprises.
    Everyone asks about you and sends lots of love. Everyone is praying for you and the triplets.
    All Our Love.

    ReplyDelete