Wednesday, April 29, 2009

big morning!

So after a rather restless night of sleep and a frustrating dip in milk production, I decided to try to pump one more time at 7:30 and get up to see how the babies were doing. A good decision in retrospect. I somehow suddenly pumped 4 ounces - a large amount for me - and I hadn't even eaten yet! Then I went to the NICU and both of the babies' nurses were excited to let me "work" for them.

I GOT TO CHANGE DAVID'S DIAPER -AND- RUB HIM WITH AQUAPHOR!!! I almost cried but held it together. I wanted the moment to last forever - massaging his tiny little feet. Then the nurse flipped him and I got to rub his back! AND his diaper was wet. Ha - seems so simple but it made me so proud. I saw his face and just stared in awe as he gripped my hand a wrinkled his little forehead. I really don't have the words to say how much it meant to me to be allowed to do so much with him - honestly - at the precise moment I so desperately needed to have some type of contact with him. His urine output increased significantly last night. He is now 1 pound 7 ounces though with the fluctuation in urine production, it will take a day or 2 to see how much is actual weight gain compared to fluid weight gain. His color is better, he is not as swollen and although he continues to desat when stimulated, overall they have been able to decrease his oxygen settings.

Mary Louise OPENED HER EYES!!! AND she had a POOP DIAPER!!! YAY!! I went to change it and it was soaked and had a tiny extra surprise. Her eyes stayed open the whole time until I rubbed her aquaphor on her and gave her a tiny massage - she drifted off to sleep again and relaxed. The nurse put endomycin ointment in her eyes. I know it's state mandated but I think it's kind of funny all the same - it prevents chlamydia - she was born via section with her eyes sealed. The only exposure she would've had was from the nurse who was holding her eyes open to put the ointment in them. No matter - she's protected. I'm proud. she definitely has long swimmer legs - kicking all the time just like she did in my belly.

I will of course go and see them later - multiple times today but wanted to share the AM news all the same. Enjoying this moment...

9 comments:

  1. Oh Heather you have had such an exciting morning! I know your heart must be overflowing with love and joy. I know you are in awe everytime you see progress. Great news this morning! I look forward to hearing more later. Woohoo pee and poop! Go Mary! Go David! Great job Mom for pumping it out! I hope you all have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful morning - I can feel your enthusiasm through the computer! I, myself, am smiling ear to ear - so funny we get so excited for pee and poops! Hope your day continues to be as great as this morning!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Heather, glad you could "hold it together" b/c I am smiling through tears reading the wonderful news! Thank you Lord for this wonderful moment Heather had with her David and for Mary's attention to Mother during bath time! There are just NO words to describe the emotion of becoming a parent! I'm so happy for you both and praying for you all. Keep up the milk production lil' Mamma, you know it's gonna do their little bodies goooood! Love you guys.
    -Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing morning! Who knew poopy diapers could be so exciting :) That's a great step though!
    I'm so glad you got to bond more with David today, it is exactly what you both needed!
    Keep pumping at least Q3H! It'll help boost your production!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo happy for you and the wonderful moments this morning. So sweet, such joy, good tears. xxxoooxxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should be very proud of your 4oz! From someone who could never get more than 6oz with help from a screaming hungry baby (long story).

    Such good news with your babies. Hope everything keeps on the same track - they are doing so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful Heather! Glad for some upbeat news!

    ReplyDelete
  8. laughter through tears is my favorite emotion! (is that from steel magnolias). anyway, many many congrats on this great day! i know your heart is so full of love for that boy you finally got to "mother". and poop for mary louise?! you go girl!! you gotta celebrate this kind of stuff! how precious to get to look your daughter in the eyes! pure love!!

    also, i must say a loud "you go girl" for that 4 oz production!! you win the prize for mom of the day!! :)

    wishing you continued blessings today!!
    heather harper

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very happy for you and your continued breast milk production. Many mothers express frustration. It's wonderful because for babies it is the first immunization.

    The American Academy of Pediatrics makes these guidelines. If there is a rupture prior to a c-section, erythromycin opthalmic oinment is still needed. Due to ELBW (extremely low birth weight) premies altered skin integrity, the eyelids may not beable to stop the infections.
    Eyrthromycin opthalmic ointment is used prophylactically to prevent opthalmia neonatorum. Used to treat chlamydial and gonorrheal infections.

    ReplyDelete