Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Umm - do I smell pancakes?!

So, to update on the lactation situation. I have been in touch with a lactation consultant who works at Children's Hospital in New Orleans. She seems to be up to date on research and quick with a response. She recommended Domperidone after going through the gambit of nutritional and herbal supplements with me with minimal success. She told me that at 4 to 6 months, many women experience a significant hormone fluctuation - incluing a possible drop in prolactin. She thinks this is what happened to me (umm - because I'm awesome like that.) So, thanks body - amazing - don't give me a break at any time - I might get too excited and take something for granted. ha.

So, domperidone...I phoned my doctor for a script. He'd never heard of it - go figure. Why had he never heard of it? Brace yourselves...it is not FDA approved. Ok - before utter panic sets in, may I just point out exactly how many things people take, eat, or spread over their bodies daily that are not FDA approved - this includes multi vitamins, herbs, etc. Now, think about all the things that the FDA does approve that are known to do harm...Ok, this is not about politics or a rant about the FDA - it is only about whether or not Domperidone is right for me.

I posted questions about it on the preemie mom forum I follow - all positive repsonses. I phoned my old roommate and very good friend about it - she took it in an effort to breast feed her son - positive feedback there too. But the real kicker (other than the unconditional recommendation by the lactation consultant?) The American Academy of Ped...recommends it OVER Reglan for it's ability to treat similarly without as many side effects - and without crossing the blood brain barrier.

I looked at the research sited by the FDA. There was a 1985 study done on continuous IV use of very high doses of Domperidone in Chemo pts. during their treatment. The patients had kidney, liver damage and hypokalemia (low potassium). 2 patients died of cardiac arrhythimias. The FDA shot the drug down.

It is now bought by Americans from Canada - with a script - or from the South Pacific - without a script.

Sound sketchy? I totally agree. But considering all of the research and feedback I've received, I feel it may be my last hope of improving my milk situation - it has increased some, but not near enough.

So the pancake thing - I have been taking Fenugreek, Mother's Milk Plus, I made a double batch of those cookies, I am continuing water intake and increasing the protein in my diet. The Fenugreek makes you smell like maple syrup - or Indian food - whatever you rather. At any rate, I taste pancakes all day long. I drink juice with Brewer's Yeast in addition to eating the cookies (umm - P.S. it is totally disgusting!). I take a nap every day and walk outside most days. In fact, there is really not a move I make without hoping it will increase my supply.

So, domperidone it is - I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for it to come in though. We'll see, I'll keep you posted.

In other news, Mary Louise is 7 pounds 13 ounces today - though her weight was done with her diaper on. She has a recheck with the cardiologist tomorrow morning.

Ma Mere and Pop are here to sit with David during the appointment. He is 6 pounds 6.5 ounces as of yesterday.

That's it for now!

XO, Heather

4 comments:

  1. I have heard good things about it. Best of luck! I wouldn't take Reglan if someone paid me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you go to kellymom.com (a great breastfeeding website) and type in Domperidone you will find some more information on it. It is categorized as LI Safest in Medications' and Mothers' Milk which I believe is considered to be one of the definitive guides that is used to determine if a mother can take a medication while nursing. Reglan is not listed as safe as Domperidone and can trigger severe depression in some moms. Best of luck to you!

    L1 SAFEST:
    Drug which has been taken by a large number of breastfeeding mothers without any observed increase in adverse effects in the infant. Controlled studies in breastfeeding women fail to demonstrate a risk to the infant and the possibility of harm to the breastfeeding infant is remote; or the product is not orally bioavailable in an infant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,
    I took Fenugreek and Blessed thistle with no success. Reglan does work well, it doubled the amount I was pumping. I used it with my first baby. However, it made me EXTREMELY tired. When my supply went down after returning to work after my second, I tried reglan again.......for about 2 days. Still made me tired. So I ordered the domperidone off the internet(with no script). It came pretty fast and worked as well as the reglan...with no side effects! Hope it works well for you too!
    I love reading your blog. I'm so glad your babies are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How frustrating, here in the UK Domperidone is available on prescription (i've taken it for a non bf complaint) but it did have +ve effect on my milk production (perhaps too much since i already had more than enough). Hope you get it sorted but keep going.

    ReplyDelete