Friday, September 25, 2009

Oh believe it!

Ok - a quick run down of our current crisis...

The babies had their 4 month shots today - went well. Dr. said I could give Tylenol for discomfort and or fever. Babies came home, legs seemed very sore post hour or 2 nap they were screaming in general but particularly if their legs were touched - or even brushed while holding. Gave the 2 their recommended dose of Infant Tylenol, fed them when they finally settled down, put them back down to rest - they seemed wiped out after their day of excitement.

Checked my email...

Got a notice from another preemie mom about a recall on - you guessed it - Tylenol products. Our bottle was on the recall list. Panic (on my part) ensued. Frantic, I called Tylenol as the recall said only "a bacteria was found". They told me it was burkholderia cepacia. I looked it up - effects immune compromised (aka, our babies) and CF pts as well as some ICU pts. Contaminant is found in soil, on hands and on contaminated medical equipment - esp fluids. It tends to rapidly attack lungs. Panic level increased.

Phoned the on call nurse for our pedi - she phoned the on call pedi. I emailed the neonatologist. Waiting to hear back from the on call pedi or the neo. Wish they would hurry up...

I have heard from the on call pedi once so far. He is supposed to call back shortly.

Will keep you posted.

Here is a list of the recalled products...
http://tylenol.com/generic.jhtml?id=tylenol/news/subpchildinfantnews.inc

No comments:

Post a Comment