Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Because we just had to have one more thing...

Because we have gone through bacterial and viral infections, we (or I) should have seen this coming...

Mary Louise started with a fungal infection today - yeast to be exact...when I say started, I mean the yeast came, and spread with a vengeance. I noted a little red patch earlier today. Mary Louise got a little fussy when I cleaned her during a diaper change - not like her at all - and told me her diaper hurt. She's had a very upset tummy since yesterday (the doctor is aware) but it's gradually getting better as she's no longer on antibiotics. This afternoon, I took a soiled diaper off and noticed the red patch had not only spread but taken over much of her left side (bottom) and where it wasn't tiny dots were beginning to show. I frantically called and made our pedi office find a near time for us to be seen.

We saw the internist an hour later and it was confirmed as yeast. The doctor also checked Mary Louise's mouth and throat for thrush, ears for any issues and listened to her chest (clear). Everything else was ok - so we got a topical cream (Nystatin) for the skin infection and were off. I picked up some probiotics on the way home as well as my sweet girl hasn't been too eager to gobble down vats of yogurt lately.

Uncle Collin has stepped in as an extra set of hands as Ma Mere and Pops went home yesterday.

Otherwise, Mary Louise is doing well - but is now walking as if she's ridden horses for the past 72 hours straight poor darling. The rash had actually spread again in the time it took me to get the meds (on the way home), feed her dinner and get her to her bath this evening. Hopefully, the ridiculous amount of medication I slathered on will improve things greatly overnight...

Our girl has certainly had quite a time and it's taking a toll - she's exhausted - tonight she actually fell asleep while holding the nebulizer in her mouth. Last night, she woke frequently and was wild with fear that no one was there and she was back in the hospital. It'll take some time, but I'm desperate for things to level out soon...

xo,
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Dude! That sucks. Hoping you all had a restful night and that her poor tush is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete