Saturday, June 13, 2009

What a weekend!

My apologies for not blogging last night! We've had a nice visit from Brent's parents this weekend and in between, I have been totally exhausted. I am basically keeping a baby feeding schedule - but without the babies which to me, makes it more difficult because I've turned the alarm off a few times and awoke a couple of hours late for a rather unpleasant pumping experience. I am doing my best to keep up with it all though - the pumping and running about town. We still have not set up the babies' room but have one cosleeper and plan to order the next one - so a place to sleep and plenty of diapers from the huge shower I was given just before going into the hospital - we're set to start right? (I mean - these kiddos won't come home walking! ha)

I held David and Mary Louise together today!! I was holding David and Brent came and put Mary Louise on me - said I needed it today. I was rather frumpy. It was absolutely wonderful!! The 2 of them fell fast asleep on my chest as I rocked. I don't remember when I've been able to relax that much. Honestly - such an amazing moment. (and I'm such a lucky girl to have such an intuitive hubby - seriously!)

In answer to a question - when I refer to feeding the babies, it means we hold a syringe of milk plus whatever caloric additives while it trickles down their feeding tubes. They are still gavage fed. I would have been 32 weeks this past Wednesday. They don't allow the babies to try nippling until 34 weeks. Then they start with one bottle a day and add as they tolerate - they cannot drop weight and the sucking burns calories. I will not be able to try to breast feed until they master the nippling most of the time as breast feeding burns more calories than bottle. (This little fact in no way makes me happy - but we'll see what happens).

Continuing to realize my many many blessings.
Heather

MORE PHOTOS ON THE WAY!!

4 comments:

  1. What wonderful moments to cherish! Many more to come with your sweet little blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "little fact" doesn't make me happy either! I always hated getting rambling advice from other parents when I was a new mom, but I feel compelled to share the thoughts that came to my mind when reading your post. Feel free to ignore me b/c I'm no expert! If David and Mary Louise are accustomed to sucking on a paci, they may begin to associate the smell (or lack of smell) of plastic pacis and bottles when they begin nippling for feedings. What about laying worn nursing pads from your bra next to their faces in the isolette? Then, the smell of your breasts will already be familiar. If you don't leak much, then try soaking disposable nursing pads with a little of your milk. The ones I buy are wrapped sterile, so would it risk introducing infection? Breastmilk has antibacterial properties, and the only risk I could guess would be introducing yeast into the isolette? Maybe not if switched out every day? At the very least, I'd begin laying the babies' cheeks on my bare breast during the entire kangaroo care session, so that their nose is above the nipple. From what you've posted, you're already known as the "crazy mama"--so just be the bare-boobed crazy mama! hah! :) Boobs smell very different from a chest area! All 4 of my babies could find my nipple in a pitch black room without having to root around much. I know that smell was a strong part of our breastfeeding bond. After wearing nursing pads all day, the pads and my breast usually smelled a little sour. Surely holding them in a nursing position while letting them smell the breast will lead to an association of the comfort of kangaroo care and feeding! It just seems like it would be great to get them used to laying up against the squishy breast so that position won't feel new to them when it's time to begin feeding. Then again, if it was me doing that, it would take all the self-control in the world not to just stick my nipple on in the baby's mouth (against doctor orders!) Also, I've seen photos of mothers breastfeeding with a feeding tube taped to their breast to make milk flow easier. Do you have that option? Also, consider pumping a little first so that they don't have to work at stimulating let-down. That will allow them to burn less calories and exert less effort. Pumping every 3 hours is such an awesome task, and I think if anyone can succeed with getting the babies on the breast, it will be YOU! In the meantime, enjoy the next 2 weeks as they rest and prepare for the yummy tasks ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I understand more than you can imagine, I had a grandparent pass away while my daughter was in the NICU. I couldn't leave and go home, which was very tough.

    It is awesome that you are keeping up with the pumping. My NICU let me try something they called nuzzling before 34 weeks, you may want to ask about it. Basically I would pump and then do kangaroo (bare chest, no bra) and let the baby latch on and see what she would do. The idea was that there wouldn't be a rush of milk to overwhelm her, they would also gavage her while she was latched to associate the full belly and the nipple. May be worth a try. Don't even get me started on the whole bottle feeding prior to breastfeeding thing. It makes me a bit crazy, as I tried until my daughter was 12 weeks adjusted and she still won't/can't breastfeed effectively (so I still pump). I have heard that being on the vent for a long time can mis-shape the babies pallettes and make breastfeeding difficult. I wish you lots of luck though. They did let me try breastfeeding before she started the bottle, and I was able to work with my daughter's primary nurse to put off the bottle as much as possible, but it was really hard. They push the bottle. It really stinks because they encourage the pumping so much (and it really is best), but I don't think they really provide enough support for actual breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,
    First, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. She was such a wonderful lady and she will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    Second, I have a co-sleeper that you are more than welcome to borrow. I see no use for it in the near future (sadly!). You can contact me through FB or my blog about how I can get it to you. Would be more than happy to mail it to you or your mom can pick it up on a trip to visit you (I will soon be on her route).

    Third, Please don't stress yourself out over the breastfeeding. You will find that each and everyone of your babies is oh so very different when it comes to nursing. Both of my babies were preemies (though further along than yours - mine were 34 wks, 5 days (Charlotte) and 34 wks, 2 days (Frances)). Charlotte wanted NOTHING to do with nursing. Pushed and shoved and SCREAMED away from me. Frances, took to it like it was breathing. You may find that your babies have different thoughts and reactions to it too. My suggestion is: relax! God has a plan and he will guide you. Just breathe, take it all in, and let your babies do their thing.

    I pumped for 10 months for Charlotte (way longer than I needed to), but it is possible if you want/need to do it.

    I love keeping up with your adorable babies. I hope to one day meet them in person. I am so glad they are doing so well. Keep on growing little ones!!
    Blair

    ReplyDelete