Monday, June 15, 2009

oh, I see

Both of the babies had eye exams today - both of which showed they have stage 2 ROP (retinopathy of prematurity). With such a progression, it is very likely they will need surgery as early as Wednesday or as late as next week. We will know more tomorrow as the images of their eyes will be repeated in the morning.

The surgery is much like lasix - a bedside procedure most likely done with some sedation on board - takes about 30 minutes with one week recovery time. Unfortunately, the closest doctor for this particular procedure is in New Orleans which means that both babies would be transferred to Tulane for a minimum of one week -possibly 2 as there is a 50/50 chance that with a recheck, more work would need to be done which would entail another laser procedure and another week of healing. They would then be transferred back to Lake Charles.

I'm not quite sure what to say about all of this - Brent and I are both completely over-loaded with all that we have happening. I am hoping that the ROP somehow magically reverses overnight and none of this is necessary to be honest (however unlikely this may be).

In the meantime, I am helping to get plans together for my grandmother's funeral here in Houma. Brent and I agreed that I should stay here for now as New Orleans is an hour away from me and I can be there when the babies get there. (If you are wondering, no we are not allowed to ride in the helicopter or ambulance - however they end up being brought - the mode of transport has to do with cost and ins. coverage by the way as this is considered an urgent, not an emergent procedure.)

The visitation and service will be this Sarurday morning.

Thanks to all for the support and prayers.

Love, Heather

3 comments:

  1. Heather, if there is anything I can do for you or your mom, please let me know. You can e-mail me at cathywiemann@aol.com for my phone number if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having enough problems arranging air travel and accomadations for one child to get medical care...I cant imagine with two and planning a funeral..you are amazing...The Lord can reverse this ROP...we will pray He will.
    http://ambercheyennelong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent/Heather, If the babies do end up coming to New Orleans my offer still stands for lodging, hot meals, or whatever else you may need.

    ReplyDelete