Friday, April 13, 2012

Evening update

So things happen fast in NICU time and I want to write it all...lest I forget the fast things that are happening...alas, my mind is long gone and a vacant stare is all that lingers sometimes...

I talked to the neonatologist today:

1. Everett will be kept on a very low dose of TPN and fluids to combat dehydration while under the bili-lights.
2. he will be kept in the isolette - also to combat dehydration
3. His electrolyte levels will be checked in the morning to ensure proper balance
4. I am allowed to take him out of the isolette every 3 hours for a total of 30 minutes for feedings. This will maximize his time under the bili-lights.
5. He has had 2 tachypnic episodes today. (tachypnea = breathing very rapidly). His temperature was elevated at the time of the episodes and has since been ok. They are still watching closely to make sure he does not get too warm in the incubator (he's a big boy to be in "the box" as the neo calls it)

Bottom line: From what I understand, Everett's bilirubin levels must drop below 12 for him to go home. That's it. That's what we're waiting for. His other medical goals have been met.

Long term: Judging by Everett's general behavior, willingness to feed and especially nurse, and his 5 minute Apgar score (I'm not sure what the value was), the neonatologist does not feel that Everett will suffer long term effects (i.e. cerebal palsy) from his traumatic birth. There is no way to be certain of this - we can only watch him grow and develop and go from there. As far as long term respiratory issues, the doctor was not concerned.

Today, Everett is absolutely perfect and I think it'd be impossible for Brent or I to be any more enamored with Everett or any of our children.

I have had pretty significant swelling in especially my lower limbs today. I am keeping them elevated as much as I can in between NICU runs...but it's still very much there despite efforts to resolve. I am hoping for a nice block of rest after feeding and bath at 11pm to help me feel and look a bit better...but this is definitely not out of the ordinary for post partum patients in general and I have been told that the fluid excess in particular can take up to 2 weeks to resolve completely.

That's it for now...

xo,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment