Monday, May 25, 2009

not really a set back but...

David made it 22 hours without having a vent tube before his CO2 level got too high and he had to be reintubated. I must say that after trying my best to prepare for such news, I was very sad to see the tube and tape across his face once again. However, we are so very proud of our little one for making such incredible progress and are looking forward to seeing him give it another go in a week or so. In the meantime, have a rest little David, recoup, and enjoy your meals and weight gain. We are just so excited to have you doing so well. He lost 40 grams yesterday so I will be anxious to check his weight gain today to see if it is coming up. He is tolerating 7mls of breast milk well, and is on probiotics - as is Mary Louise- to help with digestion. Overall, he looks amazing and the staff is almost as excited as well are to see him doing so well.

Mary Louise is doing well too. She still has one IV in for her yeast prophylaxis to be given - so she isn't quite to the feeder/ grower role just yet. It will be such a big deal when they are both without lines as it will decrease their risk of infection exponentially. Those things are like a superhighway for bacteria to enter the bloodstream. (I've been told recently that I'm becoming a bit of a germaphobe. I think this is a debatable opinion but maintain that even if it is true, that the paranoia would be more than warranted with 2 micro-preemies who have both had infections already and are spending their first 4 months in the NICU. Anyhow, forgive me if I sound a bit over the top about germs.) I spoke with the nurse practitioner about the possibility of making that last medication oral rather than intravenous. She said she would speak with the doctor about it. At any rate, the prophylaxis will stop when she reaches a certain weight so that's good. (David is on the same -but has a ways to go before being able to gain enough weight to stop the med. In the meantime, it will hopefully keep the yeast at bay.) Mary Louise is not gaining weight as fast as the doctor would like just yet. She gains 30 grams one day and 10 the next. However, he is not ready to increase the calories anymore just yet. She is taking in 20mls per feeding with human milk fortifier and probiotics currently and doing well with it. They are increasing the feedings as her tiny size permits but may need to add more calories to the milk to help her with weight gain. I'm told that they have a few options to do this - adding a sugar type substance to the milk is the one easiest to remember though there are one or 2 others. We are still holding out hope that she picks up her gain very soon and as many additives as possible can be avoided.

I seem to have left our camera in the NICU so I'll have to get to the downloads this evening I think. We've had such a good visit with Amanda being here (a super-wonderful childhood friend of mine - more like a sister to me honestly). She got to peak at the little ones last night and I think really enjoyed the visit.

Must go and get ready for today's visit. Happy Memorial day and love to all.

Heather

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that things are going well. Even with the minor set backs, things seem to be stable. They both will surprise you all! LOL...
    Being a germaphobe is quite alright! Trust me after Dylan got out of the NICU I was a mess and insisted on hand washing and Purell. LOL... It all subsided after a while.
    I look forward to your updates each and every day. I truly hope that you all know that you are in my thoughts and prayers! Hopefully I can make a trip out that way soon!
    Love to you all,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it was upsetting for David to be reintubated, but he gave it a good hard try and will hopefully be up to kicking that thing for good real soon. Both he and Mary Lousie seem to be doing really well. So happy and thankful for them both tolerating things well. So how are Mom and Dad? I hope you guys are doing well too. Love and Prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would see if they can do 5 packs human milk fortifier if they are only doing 4 before adding a sugar substance to the milk...

    ReplyDelete