Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Heather New Friend

Heather had a new friend arrive today, MASTITIS! It hit her quickly and painfully. I got really worried when she was in pain and shivering like she had the flu. I set up her breast pump, and got her some warm compresses to make it easier for her to pump. She seems to be feeling a bit better, but still is in some pain. Just another challenge for Heather to have to face, she has had every issue a pregnant woman, and a mother of newborns could have.

The babies are doing okay, but both are not gaining any weight. Both actually lost a little weight since yesterday. Mary Louise is doing well overall, and they have increased her calories in an attempt to put weight on her. David is still on high vent settings, but the focus is to gain weight before weaning him from the vent. he has been a fussy little man the last 2 days by deSating every time we touch him. He looks good, and continues to impress.
Please remember that we have a long way to go before we are out of the woods. Both children suffer from Chronic Lung Disease which means they if they get a small cold or illness, it can turn into Bronchitis or pneumonia very quickly. Their is a possibility they will outgrow it around age 3 if they can stay healthy.

Thank you for all of your support and prayers!

Sincerely,
Brent

7 comments:

  1. oh, I hope that it resolves. It sounds painful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Heather! I'm Sara & Adam Clarke's mom. And Ian & Chis's too. Sara was visiting and told me about you and your babies. I want you to know that you and your precious family are in my prayers & thoughts.

    I hope your dr has put you on antibiotics for your mastitis. I remember how painful it was from when my babies were little. It can also make you very, very sick, as I'm sure you're aware. Take care and get plenty of rest. I think you're doing an awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Heather - you have been through it all, girl! You are such a trooper! I really hope the mastitis resolves soon!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, H! You are truly giving me a run for my money as the person who the strangest things always happen to, you know! Feel free to stop anytime-- you win. :)
    Love you,
    Mccall

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will mail you your Momscout Mastitis patch as soon as they're back in stock. We should be able to graduate you by the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel better soon, Heather! Thank you for the beautiful photos of your babies. We continue to keep them and you both in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend commented on my blog post where I linked to your blog. I think you might find her information on medicaid helpful.

    I glanced through quickly and one thing caught my eye. Turned down for
    medicaid....they got bad information. Yes we make too much money, but our
    children have no income which is how the system works it. You apply for the
    Deeming Waiver, Katie Beckett Waiver of Medicaid. You supply income statements
    and apply for social security and get turned down. Then the Deeming Waiver
    comes in where you state that the medical costs are prohibitive, the kids will
    end up in state care, nursing homes, unless parents get help from medicaid. The
    date coverage starts is the day you apply, even though you are in the system
    waiting for approval...they cover bills occured during that time as long as you
    haven't paid them already. It is a system that is quirky but can provide
    assistance. Some doctors accept medicaid for followup care as well. Worth
    applying for. Couldn't get this to post on their blog PRimary insurance pays
    first, the medicaid picks up what is left. OFten with the two, you
    have very few things left to pay for as the hospitals take care of it. Greg's
    surgery next week has bee covered at 100 percent beween the two. Not sure if
    you can pass this along.

    ReplyDelete