Thursday, April 28, 2011

ON the charts!!!

That's right! We had our 24 month check up yesterday. Mary Louise is a whopping 22 pounds and 32 inches long. David is 20 pounds and 32 and a half inches long (my slim little guy!). Overall we were told "they look great and are continuing to grow slowly - but growth is growth and there is no concern at this time". Mary Louise is now in the 5th percentile for height and weight while David is in the 5th percentile for height. That's right folks! We's on the REAL charts now!! I mean the one for those "normie" families. What what?! Though I've always said that there is no real normal - I swear a caught a whiff of the elusive beast as I was told these kiddos were doing just fine...and can I just say it was a breath I needed.

Of course we can't relax too much - just as the initial high was hitting, we began to discuss David's walking - or toe walking to be exact. It's become a problem - especially with the continued issues of scar tissue and callous formation on his right heel. But above all, it's simply a habit now. We constantly tell him to "put his foot down". He does, but it takes concentration for him - as soon as something diverts his attention away (like .5 seconds later), he springs up on his toes and takes off. The mounding concern is that his ligaments and Achilles tendon might begin to shorten over time. This would minimal require intensive therapy and maximally require surgery (a very very painful surgery - even by the surgeon's disconnected standards!) I do exercises with his heels regularly - and again, he CAN drop them if and when he chooses...but this does not negate the fact that he is on his toes a good 85% of the time.

So, the doctor who's feathers never ruffle - the one who remains calm even when I'm ranting like a lunatic and in tears because he told me to "let them cry" if I wanted to get more sleep (umm - we're getting more sleep these days - and I've never let them cry by the way - it may have taken 2 years, but my conscience is clear...of that battle anyhow). That doctor who simply does not get concerned, is in fact very concerned.

The consequence of concern? CORRECTIVE SHOES. dun dun dunnnnnnnnn...better non-invasive now that terribly invasive later...better to let go of the "cool factor" just a little for the greater good...yeah - just as David what he thinks of his new kicks...

From Drop Box

not. a. fan.

In fact, my little grump pitched a fit that started in the store and dragged out through the morning, after nap time, and until I desperately strapped he and Mary Louise in the car and drove to the one park I can take them to alone - the one that has a secure fence with a gate around the entire play area. In addition, when Mary Louise stepped in one of those oddly placed puddles (you know - the ones that seem to come out of no where and have super muddy, warm and slightly smelly water that hangs on for dear life no matter how much you drag your soiled foot through the grass...that kind of puddle?), I did what anyone would do - marched both babies right over to the splash park and let them go to town in the fountains. Honestly, those clothes were destined to get wet in the washer - what the heck difference does it make if they are still inhabited when the cycle begins?? I removed David's cursed new friends when we returned to the car - because in my opinion, 5 to 6 hours of wear for day one is quite enough thank you! He transformed immediately into my sweet sweet (and just slightly grumpy) little momma's boy once more.

Other than that, things are going well. David's weight is obviously down a little. Reflux seems to have returned to our house - or more to the point, returned to David. He's put on a pretty impressive projectile display 2 night this week already. So, after at least 6 weeks of no medications, we've reluctantly started a very low night dose of Zantac once more. As with everything else, this too shall pass and we will sit, watch and patiently wait for the next time...

More birthday posts and photos to come!! And just wait until you see what the little artists have been up to (thanks to a particular Auntie Zoo we know and love!)!

xo,
Heather

4 comments:

  1. My nephew had the same walking on his toes problem. He is 14 now and walks just fine. HE walked that way until probably 9 or 10 and with stretching and being reminded he finally walk normally. I am glad you are trying to take care of it now. It bothered me that they waited so long to tend to it. As I was worried about the achilles being so tight that surgery might be required. But he didn't have surgery and is "normal" as ever. As if any teenage boy is normal.

    On another note I just can't believe how well they are doing! You and Brent are doing an amazing job as are Mary Louise and David. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think he would like the shoes better if you put colored laces in? Orange? Yellow? Tacky, yes, but maybe they would seem kid-approved then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. David reminds me of two little boys I knew who also had to wear corrective shoes. Both would sit and cry when new shoes were put on. Then a few minutes later they were off and running!!
    The two were Timothy Kuylen and Brent LeBlanc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless his heart. I completely agree...dealing with the toe walking now is much better than later. I hope he gets used to the shoes soon. Yay for being on the charts! What a huge accomplishment (I think you have to have a micro preemie of your own to fully appreciate what a big deal it truly is!) Your liitle munchkins are so adorable! I love the picture you have as the blog header.

    ReplyDelete