Wednesday, July 31, 2013

True Stories Thursday (a little early)

Mary Louise loves to make *pretend* phone calls:

Hello? Uncle Collin?
Yes. How are you?
Umm...we're going to da docca taday so day can yook at me...den we going to da dentist so dey can yook at Evie's teef.
Yes. Oh. You at work or you at Mommom's house. Yes. Ok. Mommom at exa-size or is she at home? ok.
Yes. You doing ok?
Good. Wuv you!

and then:

Hello docca? yes. Dis May-wuhweeze-wuhbwan.
Yes. I need appointment. Evie. Yes. Check his heart.
You need ta yisten to it wiv a stefacope?
ok. 8 weeks until an appointment?
(she gets out her magnadoodle and scribbles)
hmm. yes. I think we can make that.
ok. Is Uncle Collin working?
Yes. and you need to yisten 3 times to Evie's heart?
Yes, I writing it all down.
Thanks. Bye.

ML: Mom!!! David's interrupting my priba-see in da orange room where I am playing. I dus need some priba-see Mom!! So I can pway! hmph.

ML: Hey Dad!! Dis a MMM mmm *emmmm* for May-wuh-weeze! (pointing to a random M on a magazine)
Everett kisses the phone when I talk to Brent while he is away. He also blows kisses to the kids while to climb the stairs to bed. Sweet boy.

(He calls every living furry animal a cat and can identify his belly button with pointing and his nose by sniffing when asked where his nose is.)

D: Hey Mom!! Does dis say "bolcano"? (and it did - it said volcano - David had been practicing the letter "V" and early reading skills on the IPad.)

ML: (holding David and Everett's hands in hers before eating dinner) Now boys, you need ta yisten to me. We gonna eat our dinnah and Mommy will be so happy. It's such a nice dinnah. See. (eating some) Mmmmm! Nice dinnah. ok, now you try a bite.

(David tries a bite. Everett watches, grinning.)

D: MMMM! Dis is so good! I'm eating!

E: (starts shoveling)

ML: Very good boys!! You eating all you dinnah!! MOM!!! Da boys are eating all dere dinnah!! It's so good!!

Brent recently won an I-Pad Mini at a meeting. We were so excited to use it - especially with David who has responded very well to electronic feed back during school and therapy sessions. I downloaded some apps for the kids to see how they would do. Between David and Mary Louise, they have yet to miss a phonics or letter question!! It's been really wonderful to see how much they've retained from just random lessons on letters and numbers.

They will be home again this (school) year. We have a truck load of reasons for not enrolling them in school...perhaps I'll discuss them in length later...but for right now, this is just the best thing for them and for our family. I am in contact with our school of choice and am patterning lessons and year goals after their program. I feel very lucky to have such wonderful community support as we enter a more formal weekly schedule and more uncharted territory.

As for future years, we'll see! Right now, we're just exploring this one (year)!

We went to an allergy consultation today at our pedi's office. There has been some confusion about appointments, doctors (who will manage Mary Louise's allergy care) and where and when all of the consults and testing will take place. We've ironed it all out for now and made it to an in town (win!) appointment this morning and will have an allergy (scratch) test done on the 16th. From there, we will know if allergy shots will benefit Mary Louise and reduce her seasonal symptoms. I'm begging for a big fat "no"...but we'll see.

We had a really good day considering Mary Louise had the appointment described above, then Everett had a 1pm dental check up. I had all 3 kids in tow and was prepared with my enormous red bag (sheesh I love red) full of tricks to keep the "waiters" entertained while the "patients" were seen: Ipad with phonics, early reading, spelling and math games loaded and ready; crayons and markers for the table paper (that stuff is a great canvas!), easy hand snacks - dried fruits, protein bars and nuts and gum as a last resort.

We had just enough time between appointments to have a picnic lunch followed by a 30 minute run around at a nearby park.

Then off to the pedi dentist (one of our many doctor office homes). The big kids love their dentist...well, they don't mind the actual dentist, but really, they love his office. It's a super neat train themed set up complete with a playroom attached on the side made from an old caboose. There is an electric train that runs around the exam area non-stop. All that and the fact that Mary Louise and David leave with literally a bag a swag - toothbrushes, toys, toothpaste, stickers - each time they go makes it a happy place for all.

They were so sweet with Everett - giving him a pep talk pre-exam:
ML: now, Evie, it's ok to be a yittle bit nervous about the dentist. But it's really nice. See the trains?
D: Yeah!!! See da trains!! Hey yook! ANOTHER TRAIN!!

Everett did well and only fussed a little when the dentist needed to get a little closer for a better look at the concerning tooth.

The verdict: NO CAVITY!!!!!

Everett's tooth may not have formed quite right and just has an indentation on the front. Right now, there is no cavity - but it's a very likely spot (due to the pitting) for one to develop. So, we must continue to brush often (at least 1 to 2 times daily). We are already flossing as his bottom teeth are close together. Sweet boy is a great sport about it all - mostly because he wants to be just like his big brother and sister. We will also add a tiny dot of OTC fluoride gel via Q-tip on the pitted area for extra protection until Everett learns to properly spit fluoride toothpaste post brushing.

After the dentist, we came home. Mary Louise and David begged for a viewing of Bubble Guppies. I obliged and after their 30 minutes of couch time, they played and played and played until dinner.

They ate SUPER well: brown rice mixed with scrambled eggs, sesame oil, Bragg's liquid Aminos, and green peas, some left over round roast, and fresh beets - they ate the beets!!! Well, Mary Louise ate the beets. David ate about 3 bites - I'll take that - and Everett ate a few beets, half his eggs and rice, then finished his roast, got seconds and pulled roast off of ML and D's plates (and he's nursing again now).

Again, I'm just not sure about that iron...testing for that next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment