Monday, September 9, 2013

Smelling the Roses

Mary Louise and I have been spending wonderful amounts of time various doctors' offices. She loves her "Mommy - Meesey time" and I make every effort to stay very present while waiting with her. We read, color, talk, snack and giggle. We snuggle, laugh, listen and learn. Love and laughter in (almost) every minute. It should be everyone's goal.

I've been stressed lately. Very stressed. I've felt overwhelmed and needed breaks. With the number of doctor appointment mounding, home tasks getting away from me, and the school year (David's therapy) and ballet lessons starting, cracks are showing and cackles are starting...and then there's my bright idea about a booth at the markets here...way to pile it on, self!

Mary Louise and I went to the pediatrician yesterday to chat about allergy test results. The doctor was running late, so I requested we be put in a room (there are some nasty bugs going around our area - and measles has made its way to Houston - a short 3 hours from us. I am not very keen on sitting for an hour in the waiting room.) We waited 45 minutes in the room. When the doctor made it in, the table was a Mary Louise graffiti original and we were reading books after doing a math lesson on the IPad.

The doctor listened while I explained that I was very wary of doing weekly (or twice weekly) injections as it would entail me waiting with 3 little ones in a pedi waiting room twice a week, however long it took to get us in and out. So, I asked, would the risk to our family (being exposed to every illness entering our area), outweigh the benefit of the shot? or vice verse? Would the injections work for her? why?

I had a list of changes we had already started implementing for Mary Louise at home: HEPA filters in the bedroom and downstairs playroom (her 2 areas of most indoor play) as well as upgrading the central air filters. Increasing her elderberry and honey dosing, and introducing a nettles based allergy vitamin, washing our pups twice weekly, protectors on the mattresses and new pillows with protectors on them while also being aware of seasonal patterns and pollen blooms. I've also contacted an herbalist / acupuncturist friend of Brent's who has agreed to help us streamline our efforts and diet to best suit Mary Louise's needs.

For those who have written, the pets have never been allowed upstairs anyhow - except for Lizzie who sleeps in our (master) bed room as of about a month ago when her aging nerves prevented her from settling down to rest...ever. She climbs the stairs with me at night, sleeps in the corner (down the hall from the kids) and goes right back down in the morning. The cat is outside all day everyday and many nights. When he does decide to sleep inside, he's in the laundry room (we don't leave clothing in there). Anyhow, we are not re-homing our ad would look a bit like this:

11 and 13 year old dogs and a 12 year old cat to be re-homed due to newly diagnosed allergies. All animals have sort of pleasant dispositions as long as they are allowed to sleep undisturbed for the greater portion of the day. The kids love them, and they tolerate the kids (or run from them). They are house broken - but, when angry, the little one (Chester) is sort of an asshole and tends to pee on your foot. All have lovely stink breaths and need water added to their foods so they can chew. Up to date on shots, and will forward their vet files...but it may cause a paper shortage. Oh. And if the grass is wet, don't expect either dog to set foot there for relief. They think the driveway, or sidewalk works just fine. Let me know if interested!! (*grin*)

The pedi's response was very positive and extremely supportive. She said that Mary Louise's allergies, while significant, are not absolutely horrible so unless I had come in pushing for injections, in our situation, the risk of bringing her into the office so often outweighed the benefit of the injections so she would not have gone ahead with them (at this time).

Outside the office, there were masses of blooming rose bushes. "Please can we stop and 'mell dem Momma?"

"Yes baby. Of course."

We went to the ENT the next day. He looked over the results and asked how her symptoms were at home. I told him about the herbal measures and holistic approach. He admitted to not knowing much about it and said it was, of course, my choice if I wanted to explore that route - it wouldn't hurt as far as what I had planned or was already implementing. After an exam, he stated Mary Louise's adenoids were remarkably smaller as compared to our first visit. At this time, he wouldn't make any changes - and supported our plan not to go ahead with the allergy shots.

We also discussed alternatives to the allergy shots should her symptoms worsen over the next year or so. We could do sublingual (under the tongue) drops at home instead of the injections. He has the facility and staff to mix her drops in office and said she would be a candidate for the home therapy should her condition worsen. If it came to that though, she would likely need an adenectomy (adenoid removal). We go back to him for a recheck in 6 months.

Long overdue updates to come - we've just returned from a trip to St. Augustine, Fl.!


No comments:

Post a Comment