Thursday, March 26, 2009

unexpected perinatology visit

Dr. St. Amant - the one perinatologist made an unexpected trip to my room today. His bottom line was rest rest and more rest, cautious optimism and prayer. (those were his actual suggestions). He said he wouldn't change anything about my care but feels that I was probably under-treated for hypertension from the start. Currently, however, I am stable and he said that he doesn't see any reason why I can't be the one to surprise all of the doctors and make it to 30 weeks. He'll see me again and measure the babies when I'm 23 weeks as they aren't considered viable until 24 weeks so even if something was wrong with them, there's really nothing they can do anyhow. He is concerned about the one that measured smallest but said there was room for error with measurements and the amniotic fluid around the babies looks good. (with preeclampsia and multiples, there is always a chance that one or more of the babies will just stop growing).

I'm still trying to grasp this thing preeclampsia. They don't seem to treat symptomatically and it's considered a disease process but none of the symptoms - or processes are interlinked which I find rather confusing. Dr. St. Amant said that it's just been here since the beginning of time - no known cause and therefore no decisive treatment but if it looks as if my life is in danger they will reccommend delivery regardless of gestational age. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep the prayers going!! Forever appreciative.

2 comments:

  1. Go Heather! Go Triplets! Go 30 weeks and beyond!
    Grow Heather! Grow Triplets! Grow 30 weeks and beyond!
    Love Heather! Love Triplets! Love 30 weeks and beyond!
    Bless Heather! Bless Triplets! Bless 30 weeks and beyond!
    (a prayerful chant)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news!!! Keep up the rest, rest, rest and we will keep up the prayers, prayers, prayers.

    ReplyDelete